Here Are Some More Things That Could Be Helpful For You!
Senior discounts are a significant perk of getting older. Many restaurants, shops and other businesses may offer you savings opportunities, most starting at 50 years of age. In addition, senior organizations such as the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) provide you with resources to help you save even more money.
Generally, you can use senior citizen discounts regardless of whether you are retired or nearing retirement. While some of these discounts are small, you might as well take advantage of them if you are already planning to dine out or go shopping.
It’s also important to know that you can enjoy good food, vacations and more without making a significant dip into your earnings.
Download Your Free Guide:Download Your Guide
What is the senior discount age?
The senior discount age varies depending on the location and the establishment offering the discount. While certain stores and restaurants offer discounts to customers as young as 50 years of age, others will only offer them to customers who are 65 years of age and older. However, discounts may be offered for seniors anywhere within that range between 50 and 65 years of age.
If you are looking for senior discounts at 55 years of age or younger, you will most likely find them at restaurants and hotels. This is because many chain restaurants and hotels offer discounts to members of AARP, which allows you to join at 50 years of age.
As a general rule, discounts for younger patrons are smaller and range from 5 to 10 percent. Some establishments offer larger discounts around 15 to 20 percent, though the discount age is usually higher.
Keep in mind that discounts will also vary within business chains. For instance, a Chick Fil A in one location may offer a 10 percent discount to seniors, while another may offer only a 5 percent discount.
If you are wondering what the discount age is at a particular store, feel free to call the business in advance. You can also check its website if one is available.
There are two main approaches that consumers take when getting free credit reports. You can request reports from all three bureaus at one time to see how the scores vary slightly (as they often do). Otherwise, you can spread out your requests throughout the year to track your credit increases or decreases every few months.
Which popular restaurants and stores offer senior discounts?
Senior discounts are available at many popular restaurants, stores and businesses. In fact, many older adults do not even realize that the stores they frequent offer discounts from 5 to even 30 percent.
On the other hand, it is important to note that some of these offers may only be available on certain days of the week. In addition, many businesses require you to provide proof of your age at checkout and exclude alcohol from deals.
Popular chains that offer senior discounts at their restaurants include:
- Denny’s – This chain offers 15 percent off the entire check plus a discounted menu for seniors. Customers must be 50 or 55 years of age depending on the location.
- Dunkin’ – If you are 55 years of age or older, you may receive 10 percent off your entire order.
- Friendly’s – This ice cream restaurant chain gives customers who are 50 years of age or older 10 percent off their meals. They may also receive a free coffee during breakfast hours or a free small sundae during non-breakfast hours.
- McDonald’s – The McDonald’s senior discount varies from location to location. However, most restaurants in the chain offer discounts on coffee every day to seniors who are 55 years of age and older.
- Rainforest Cafe – Restaurant goers who are 50 years of age or older will receive 10 percent off their bills. Note that they must present proof of AARP membership.
- Subway – This healthy fast-food chain offers 10 percent off to customers who are 60 years of age or older. However, be mindful that some Subways do not offer this discount.
- Uno Pizzeria & Grill – This pizza chain has a double nickel club that anyone can join. With that said, club members who are 55 years of age or older will receive 25 percent off their meals on Wednesdays.
Many pharmacies, department stores and other businesses offer senior citizen discounts as well. For instance, you may want to take advantage of:
- The Great Clips discount – If you are 65 years of age or older, you may receive a discounted haircut. Be sure to check with your local Great Clips for guidelines.
- JOANN Fabrics senior discount days – If you sign up for updates from JOANN Fabrics, you will receive notifications for senior discount days. During these days, you will receive 20 percent off your purchases. Be mindful, however, that you must be 55 years of age or older to participate.
- The Kohl’s senior discount – If you are 60 years of age or older, you may receive 15 percent off at Kohl’s on Wednesdays.
- LensCrafters – If you need vision care and you are 50 years of age or older, LensCrafters may offer you discounts on lenses, frames, contacts and eye exams. You must have an AARP membership in order to participate.
- Walgreens senior day – If you are a Balance Rewards member, you may receive up to 20 percent off your purchases at Walgreens. This offer is available on Tuesdays as long as you are 55 years of age or older. If you are 50 years of age or older, you may still receive discounts with an AARP card.
- The Walmart senior discount – Certain participating locations may offer senior discounts on certain days of the week. Be sure to check with your local Walmart to learn more.
- The UPS Store discount – UPS offers AARP members 15 percent off their products and services. Seniors may also receive 5 percent off on shipping.
What are some of the best resources for finding senior discounts?
Several organizations update their lists of senior citizen discounts frequently to make sure that you are getting the best savings. These clubs and programs often provide other resources as well, such as advice on health insurance, caregiving, Social Security and jobs in retirement. If you get your information from legitimate organizations such as these, you will receive the best savings and protect yourself from fraud.
For instance, AARP restaurant discounts are always listed on the AARP website, along with other deals for department stores, travel and more. In addition, this association offers auto services such as a discounted senior driving course and motorcycle insurance. Generally, a one-year AARP membership with an automatic renewal costs just $12.
You may also sign up for the Senior Discounts Club for free. This online membership gives you access to exclusive offers. As an example, some businesses offer up to 70 percent off for seniors. However, make sure that you read the fine print before making large purchases. You do not want to incur unexpected fees.